Component ID

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jimmy Wright 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jimmy Wright
    Participant

When creating a definition for Component IDs, we would like to be able to use the abbreviations from the “VALUE”. Best application of this would be to add a column with a check box to “Use Abbreviation”, which would substitute the abbreviated version of the “VALUE”

jimmy Wright
    Participant

?

Naresh

Hi,

I assume you are asking for Type = “Text” line in the Comp Id format.
    Why not type the value as the abbreviated text?

Naresh

jimmy Wright
    Participant

Because I would like it to automatically populate from subcategory so all of my wires aren’t “WIR-CAT-001”. We use an AVIXA labeling scheme where different cable types are represented on labels by an abbreviation. Our “Wire and Cable” subcategories reflect this, delineating between CAT6, CAT6S, CAT6A, CAT5e, and all other wire types. For example CAT6 Subcategoy = D2 – CAT6, so we get a comp ID of “WIR-D2-001”. When a technician looks at a plan and see’s WIR-D2-003 he knows both the use “Wire”, type “CAT6 UTP” and the ID # “003”. If I have to go through and re-gen every wire comp id using a separate TEXT field for each wire type, that costs significant time.

Being able to use the abbreviation of the subcategory would prevent us from having the “D2” portion as a prefix to the subcategory name. Simple request in all. Just let us use the abbreviated values attached the “FIELD” we already use.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.